Thread poster: Staci Burton
Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 22:43
French to Italian
+ ...
Hi Staci Jun 23, 2022

Many agencies have translators sign NDAs and don't allow us to share/outsource jobs. I suggest you learn by doing. When I proofread new translators' jobs, I often find mistakes in the way they localise (or rather don't localise) units of measurement, dates, numbers, punctuation...
Probably as a lawyer, you already know how to write properly, but here are some style guides available online yo
... See more
Many agencies have translators sign NDAs and don't allow us to share/outsource jobs. I suggest you learn by doing. When I proofread new translators' jobs, I often find mistakes in the way they localise (or rather don't localise) units of measurement, dates, numbers, punctuation...
Probably as a lawyer, you already know how to write properly, but here are some style guides available online you might want to check out:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/styleguide_english_dgt_en.pdf
https://gengo.com/en-gb/translators/resources/style-guide/
https://www.berghahnbooks.com/uploads/authors/Berghahn_housestyle_UK.pdf

I just copied the first ones I found but there are many more.
Collapse

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Local time: 15:43
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation feedback Jun 23, 2022

Elena Feriani wrote:

Probably as a lawyer, you already know how to write properly, but here are some style guides available online you might want to check out:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/styleguide_english_dgt_en.pdf
https://gengo.com/en-gb/translators/resources/style-guide/
https://www.berghahnbooks.com/uploads/authors/Berghahn_housestyle_UK.pdf

I just copied the first ones I found but there are many more.

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful reply! It's so nice to hear from someone who proofreads to know which mistakes are most common. I've been working so hard to try to provide the best translations possible but it has definitely been difficult to know what I'm doing wrong, or right, without much feedback. I really appreciate your advice and the links to guides!

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 22:43
French to Italian
+ ...
oops, I assumed you were from UK! Jun 24, 2022

Hi Staci,
I don't know why I assumed you were British. There are plenty of style guides for American English online.
Edit: I tried to post a link to a Google search here but it doesn't work. If you search for "American English style guide" you'll find many.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2022-06-24 06:09 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feedback Jun 24, 2022

Staci Burton wrote:

I'm looking for experienced translators who translate German or Finnish legal/business/financial documents into English to give me feedback on my translations. I haven't yet started building my own client base, but have been translating for various agencies for over a year now and none of them provide real feedback. I even ask the project managers specifically for feedback from the reviewer, or to see any corrections made to my translations and most provide nothing at all, or just tell me my translation is fine, good, accepted, etc. Some have used me again, so I assume they thought my translation was ok. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I was a lawyer for 20 years before retiring and becoming a legal translator and I learned how to be a good lawyer by drafting documents and having a more experienced lawyer review and correct them. I would very much like to learn how to be a better translator by having someone experienced provide me with feedback. If there are any experienced translators out there in my language combinations who have overflow work I would love to prepare translations for you for a small fraction of my regular rate per word in exchange for feedback and corrections.

I do think you are right to be thinking seriously about feedback. High-quality, targetted feeback is the quickest way to improve and as freelancers we are very lucky if we get this from our clients. It's a big downside of the way we work. In the past, a lot more translators began their careers in a translation department of an end-user company, where they could be mentored and have their work revised, but that's quite rare now.

Another option, especially if you are going to target end clients, would be to pay your own reviser. If you're paying, you can come to your own arrangement about what kind of feedback you want and a second pair of eyes is generally recommended in any case. If you're working for agencies maybe you can send an occasional short piece to a paid reviser purely as an investment in your development. If you find the right person it could be a really good decision.

Anyway, good luck and I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Ying-Ju Fang
Björn Vrooman
MollyRose

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback on translations Jun 24, 2022

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Staci Burton wrote:

I'm looking for experienced translators who translate German or Finnish legal/business/financial documents into English to give me feedback on my translations. I haven't yet started building my own client base, but have been translating for various agencies for over a year now and none of them provide real feedback. I even ask the project managers specifically for feedback from the reviewer, or to see any corrections made to my translations and most provide nothing at all, or just tell me my translation is fine, good, accepted, etc. Some have used me again, so I assume they thought my translation was ok. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I was a lawyer for 20 years before retiring and becoming a legal translator and I learned how to be a good lawyer by drafting documents and having a more experienced lawyer review and correct them. I would very much like to learn how to be a better translator by having someone experienced provide me with feedback. If there are any experienced translators out there in my language combinations who have overflow work I would love to prepare translations for you for a small fraction of my regular rate per word in exchange for feedback and corrections.

I do think you are right to be thinking seriously about feedback. High-quality, targetted feeback is the quickest way to improve and as freelancers we are very lucky if we get this from our clients. It's a big downside of the way we work. In the past, a lot more translators began their careers in a translation department of an end-user company, where they could be mentored and have their work revised, but that's quite rare now.

Another option, especially if you are going to target end clients, would be to pay your own reviser. If you're paying, you can come to your own arrangement about what kind of feedback you want and a second pair of eyes is generally recommended in any case. If you're working for agencies maybe you can send an occasional short piece to a paid reviser purely as an investment in your development. If you find the right person it could be a really good decision.

Anyway, good luck and I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I wish there was a way for beginning translators to work for others in a manner to receive regular feedback, as in the past. Previously I translated several form legal documents available openly online and paid a reviewer for editing them. It was a very helpful process. Now all of my projects are from agencies and therefore subject to confidentiality. If I do decide to start working with my own clients then I would definitely want this kind of arrangement with a reviewer. Thank you again for your advice!

Rachel Waddington
Ying-Ju Fang

Staci Burton
Staci Burton
United States
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback on translations Jun 24, 2022

Elena Feriani wrote:

Hi Staci,
I don't know why I assumed you were British. There are plenty of style guides for American English online.
Edit: I tried to post a link to a Google search here but it doesn't work. If you search for "American English style guide" you'll find many.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2022-06-24 06:09 GMT]

Thank you so much!! I have found some

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback on translations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »