Survey on the use of machine translation deliberately posted in the Theory and Practice forum
Thread poster: Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:36
Italian to English
Sep 11, 2022

I have deliberately not posted this in the forum devoted to machine translation (and kindly ask no one to do so) because I want it to reach both translators who use machine translation and translators who don't or refuse to do so. If it were posted in the machine translation forum, it could bias the results towards MT users.

Many academic publications seem to assume that the most natural way to include machine translation in a translator's workflow is through machine translat
... See more
I have deliberately not posted this in the forum devoted to machine translation (and kindly ask no one to do so) because I want it to reach both translators who use machine translation and translators who don't or refuse to do so. If it were posted in the machine translation forum, it could bias the results towards MT users.

Many academic publications seem to assume that the most natural way to include machine translation in a translator's workflow is through machine translation post-editing (MTPE). As a translator myself, I know that this is by no means the only way translators use machine translation during their work. I am also aware that some professional translators do not use machine translation at all for various reasons.

To gain insight into the proportion of translators that use machine translation and the various ways they do, I have set up an anonymous survey, scheduled to close on 21 October 2022. Due to its international nature, the survey is in English.

PS: I will post a link here to a free copy of the results when they are ready.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Sep 11, 2022

* 18. I do pure post-editing, i.e. I receive a source text to translate, I machine translate the entire text, then I do a full post-editing on the output
After answering "yes" to this question and continuing, I realised that perhaps you mean "specifically outside a CAT tool". If that is so, perhaps it's a good idea to include that in the question. After all, it's possible to "machine-translate the entire text" inside a CAT tool.

Jorge Payan

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tool or no tool: it makes no difference Sep 11, 2022

Thank you for taking the survey.

No, it does not mean "specifically outside a CAT tool". It does not matter if you use a tool or not to manage the process.

Samuel Murray wrote:

After answering "yes" to this question and continuing, I realised that perhaps you mean "specifically outside a CAT tool".

Qiujie Kong
Qiujie Kong
Australia
Local time: 05:06
Chinese
machine translate sometimes makes the client confused Sep 11, 2022

I work in a product design industry, for some professional words I couldn't understand I will use translate tools like E-dictionary . But sometimes there is on such words in the client's side, so that will makes them confuse. For this situation, I use ecommerce platform in two different regions, and they will show me the names in different language for two different markets. There is no doubt that if we use translate tools in a job, post-editing still plays an important role.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:36
English to Russian
29 of 36 Sep 12, 2022

Weirdly it was question 29 of 36 when the system said that the poll is completed. Is it ok?

Philip Lees

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No one gets to answer all the questions Sep 12, 2022

The total number of questions you are asked to answer depends on the way you answer some of the first questions. It is actually impossible to answer all 36 questions. Most people probably only see about 25, mostly closed-ended questions.

Stepan Konev wrote:

Weirdly it was question 29 of 36 when the system said that the poll is completed. Is it ok?

[Edited at 2022-09-12 06:23 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Did it Sep 12, 2022

Didn't feel like it asked any useful questions.

DID feel like it was tailored to get pre-defined answers to support some set of pre-determined "conclusions".

I'm guessing you're selling something or trying to pitch some MT-related change to your bosses or clients?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Michael Sep 12, 2022

You might want to say something about the purpose of the survey and what the results will be used for if you want people to put time into doing it.

Victoria Britten
Adieu
TTMEM TRANSLATION PORTAL
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Closed-ended questions Sep 12, 2022

The future will decide if the results are useful.

The survey was preceded by a thorough brainstorming session among professional translators to try to establish the likely answers. This makes closed-ended questions possible, with two advantages: 1) analysis is easier and 2) responding to the survey is less time-consuming. I can understand that closed-ended questions can look like they are designed to support pre-determined conclusions bu
... See more

The future will decide if the results are useful.

The survey was preceded by a thorough brainstorming session among professional translators to try to establish the likely answers. This makes closed-ended questions possible, with two advantages: 1) analysis is easier and 2) responding to the survey is less time-consuming. I can understand that closed-ended questions can look like they are designed to support pre-determined conclusions but you will notice that there is always an "other (please specify)" answer. So if your answer did not emerge during the preliminary brainstorming session, you can still give it.

As to the purpose of the survey, I will answer below.

Adieu wrote:

Didn't feel like it asked any useful questions.

DID feel like it was tailored to get pre-defined answers to support some set of pre-determined "conclusions".

I'm guessing you're selling something or trying to pitch some MT-related change to your bosses or clients?
Collapse

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Purpose of the survey Sep 12, 2022

Thank you, Ice Scream. You are right. I should have said something about the purpose.

I intend to use the results of the survey to write and publish a paper, which I hope to present at one or more conferences. As I mentioned before, I will post a link to a free copy of the results (paper) here on ProZ, which you can download and read even if you do not take the survey.

Ice Scream wrote:

You might want to say something about the purpose of the survey and what the results will be used for if you want people to put time into doing it.

[Edited at 2022-09-12 14:29 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Survey results at last Feb 14, 2023

Thanks again to everyone who took the survey and I apologize for the length of time it has taken to send you the results, as promised.

I presented the results at Translating and the Computer 44 in Luxembourg on 24 November 2022, and wrote a paper for the proceedings. Unfortunately the proceedings have not been published yet, but the conference organizers have kindly allowed me to publi
... See more
Thanks again to everyone who took the survey and I apologize for the length of time it has taken to send you the results, as promised.

I presented the results at Translating and the Computer 44 in Luxembourg on 24 November 2022, and wrote a paper for the proceedings. Unfortunately the proceedings have not been published yet, but the conference organizers have kindly allowed me to publish the paper as a preprint so that I can share it with you for free.
Collapse

Arianne Farah

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:36
Member (2008)
English to French
Just read through it Feb 14, 2023

No surprises on my end, but as an insider that's to be expected.

I like the distinction that was made between the task (MTPE) and the tool (MT) as I am one of those people who never does MTPE in the classical sense, but who does run an MT engine, primarily for the auto-suggest function that speeds up my typing (I already know in my head what I want to write - sometimes it aligns with the output, sometimes it doesn't, but when it does, my typing speed is increased).

In
... See more
No surprises on my end, but as an insider that's to be expected.

I like the distinction that was made between the task (MTPE) and the tool (MT) as I am one of those people who never does MTPE in the classical sense, but who does run an MT engine, primarily for the auto-suggest function that speeds up my typing (I already know in my head what I want to write - sometimes it aligns with the output, sometimes it doesn't, but when it does, my typing speed is increased).

In my mind the debate is going in the right direction - instead of asking translators to adopt a workflow based on a tool, see how translators use the tool in the wild and then adapt the workflow itself.
Collapse

Angela B
Lieven Malaise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on the use of machine translation deliberately posted in the Theory and Practice forum

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »