Seiriol Dafy (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:32
German to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2016

Hi everyone,

(using Wordfast Pro 3)

Apologies if this is very basic - CAT tools are not my strong point!

An agency has been sending me .xliff files, which I've been translating and sending back with no problems.

However, what I've not been able to work out is how to produce a Word file as the end client would see it - the final translated document. I've used the "Preview in MS Word" function but that obviously sets it all out in segments. When
... See more
Hi everyone,

(using Wordfast Pro 3)

Apologies if this is very basic - CAT tools are not my strong point!

An agency has been sending me .xliff files, which I've been translating and sending back with no problems.

However, what I've not been able to work out is how to produce a Word file as the end client would see it - the final translated document. I've used the "Preview in MS Word" function but that obviously sets it all out in segments. When I go to "Save translated document" the only option is to save it as an .xliff file.

So my question: is there any way to save the translation (monolingual) as a Word file after translating an .xliff?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:32
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not possible Dec 1, 2016

Saving the target document as a Word file is not going to be possible in this case unless the client sends the source Word file first.
Wordfast just wouldn't know that you need to save the target translation as a Word file since it wasn't a Word file in the first place that you imported into the program but an xliff file.
Preview in MS Word is used in order to spellcheck the text only.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Try export for review Dec 1, 2016

Seiriol Dafydd wrote:
So my question: is there any way to save the translation (monolingual) as a Word file after translating an .xliff?

As far as I know Andriy is right. However, you might want to go to the Review tab, and see if you can do an "Export for Bilingual Review" with output set to "side-by-side". If that produces a Word file with a table in it, then delete the columns you don't want (all but the rightmost one, I think) and you should be left with a table in the the target language. Even if it works, you'd still need to tidy it up - remove tags, collapse table into text - but it might help.

Dan

Seiriol Dafy (X)
Seiriol Dafy (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 1, 2016

Thanks Andriy and Dan for your replies! Good to know - at least that saves me from carrying on looking for a way in vain.

I'll try your suggestion Dan and see where I get!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving the final translation in Word after translating an .xliff file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »