GLP in WFP5 (or: does WFP5 have bilingual review or not)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 2, 2018

G'day everyone

So today I got my first GLP file from a client. It took me a while to figure out how to open it (don't double-click it, don't open WFP5 and drag-and-drop it, but: use "Import project" from the Projects tab). I'm used to using WFP3, but I do have WFP5 installed.

1. Does WFP have a "bilingual review" feature, i.e. export to a Word table and then import the changes back into the TXLF file again?
2. Is there any way to get WFP3 to open the TXLF file?
... See more
G'day everyone

So today I got my first GLP file from a client. It took me a while to figure out how to open it (don't double-click it, don't open WFP5 and drag-and-drop it, but: use "Import project" from the Projects tab). I'm used to using WFP3, but I do have WFP5 installed.

1. Does WFP have a "bilingual review" feature, i.e. export to a Word table and then import the changes back into the TXLF file again?
2. Is there any way to get WFP3 to open the TXLF file? WFP3 says it's an unsupported format. Trados says the same. OmegaT/Okapi can't open it either. I do not want to edit this file in WFP5 because WFP5 is a slooow program.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Arkadiusz Jasiński
Arkadiusz Jasiński  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
How about adding the *.txlf file type in Trados Studio? Dec 2, 2018

Hi Samuel,

you could try to add the *.txlf extention in Studio settings as explained here:

https://www.technolex-translations.com/blog/how-to-translate-txlf-wordfast-files-in-trados-studio/

Options > Editor > File Types > XLIFF and add the string: ;*.txlf

Best,
Arkadiusz

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:17
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
GLP file Dec 2, 2018

A GLP package is a zip-file that can be opened with 7-zip program, for example.
After unzipping the contents, you can find one or more folders and files among which there's a txlf file that is one of the varieties of an xliff file. It can be easily imported into memoQ and translated. When importing into memoQ, just select Import with options and choose XLIFF filter from the drop-down list of the filters.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Me Dec 2, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
So today I got my first GLP file from a client.

Okay, after having done this job and struggling a lot with it, I think the following is all true:

1. The GLP file is a zip file, and if your client will be satisfied with a translated TXLF file, you can simply unzip it.

If you want to open it in WFP5, then... although the GLP file has an icon and is associated with WFP5, you can't open it in WFP5 by double-clicking it nor can you open in in WFP5 by dragging and dropping it into WFP5. Instead: in WFP 5, go to Wordfast Pro > Project List, then go Projects > Import Package. This will create a project in WFP5 based on the GLP package.

2. WFP5 does have a "bilingual review" feature, but it doesn't work.

To use bilingual review in WFP5, go to Wordfast Pro > Quick Tools. Unlike WFP3, the export and import are located on two separate tabs. To export for bilingual review, use the Bilingual Export tab. You can't drag and drop. There is an option to export multiple TXLF files as a single DOC file, which looks interesting, but since bilingual review doesn't actually work in WFP5, it's just eye candy.

To import a bilingual review file in WFP5, use the Bilingual Import tab. Unlike in WFP3, it is insufficient to select only the DOC file -- you have to select the TXLF file as well. Tip: when this upcoming feature is eventually released, it may be a good idea to tick/check the option "Open report after import" unless the upcoming feature also includes a progress bar or some other indicator that the process was performed.

3. WFA also has a bilingual review feature, but it doesn't work either. After importing the updated DOC file, WFA tells me in a dialog box which segments were updated, but the file itself remains unchanged. It doesn't actually update anything.

4. Finally, how to open a TXLF file in WFP3: you have to add the TXLF filter. It's really odd because the TXLF filter is already there, it just isn't active. To active the TXLF filter in WFP3, go to Edit > Preferences > Translations > Filters > Formats, click "New" and then select "TXLF Filter" from the list. No additional tweaking is required.

Dylan J Hartmann
Alex Bell

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 09:17
Bilingual review export import works Dec 4, 2018

Hi Samuel,

Bilingual review works fine like WFP 3, can you be clear on what was the issue you were facing during export or import that made you come to the conclusion that it does not work? What version of WFP 5 are you using?

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:
2. WFP5 does have a "bilingual review" feature, but it doesn't work.

To use bilingual review in WFP5, go to Wordfast Pro > Quick Tools. Unlike WFP3, the export and import are located on two separate tabs. To export for bilingual review, use the Bilingual Export tab. You can't drag and drop. There is an option to export multiple TXLF files as a single DOC file, which looks interesting, but since bilingual review doesn't actually work in WFP5, it's just eye candy.

To import a bilingual review file in WFP5, use the Bilingual Import tab. Unlike in WFP3, it is insufficient to select only the DOC file -- you have to select the TXLF file as well. Tip: when this upcoming feature is eventually released, it may be a good idea to tick/check the option "Open report after import" unless the upcoming feature also includes a progress bar or some other indicator that the process was performed.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Works on 5 Dec 4, 2018

Hi Samuel,

I can confirm that bilingual export and import works on WFP5.
I exported 5 files as one docx bilingual file, sent to a client, then reimported the file with their corrections and it updated all of my TXLF files. I then cleaned up the files and updated the TM at the same time.

Best,
John

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@JohnD Dec 4, 2018

John Daniel wrote:
Can you be clear on what was the issue you were facing during export or import that made you come to the conclusion that it does not work? What version of WFP 5 are you using?

I'm using WFP 5.6.0.

Well, when I click the "Bilingual Export" button (after adding the TXLF file using "Add Files", obviously), nothing happens.

The button briefly changes colour slightly, which indicates that I did press it, but no other status messages appear to give any indication of what is happening, and after waiting many seconds and trying the button a number of times, nothing actually happens.

If I try the "Bilingual Export" button without adding a file, then I do get an error message... but only the first time (if I then click the button again, with no file added, I no longer get an error message). When I click the "Bilingual Export" button when a file was added, nothing happens -- not an error message, nor a status message, nor nothing else.

I did not tinker with the TXLF file.

[Edited at 2018-12-04 21:08 GMT]

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 09:17
Sorry Dec 4, 2018

Hi Samuel,

Sorry its been a while since I moved out of using 5.6 and forgot about this blocker issue of Bilingual Review not working. This issue has been fixed in WFP 5.7 which will be available on our site soon.

Thank you,

John

Samuel Murray wrote:

John Daniel wrote:
Can you be clear on what was the issue you were facing during export or import that made you come to the conclusion that it does not work? What version of WFP 5 are you using?

I'm using WFP 5.6.0.

Well, when I click the "Bilingual Export" button (after adding the TXLF file using "Add Files", obviously), nothing happens.

The button briefly changes colour slightly, which indicates that I did press it, but no other status messages appear to give any indication of what is happening, and after waiting many seconds and trying the button a number of times, nothing actually happens.

If I try the "Bilingual Export" button without adding a file, then I do get an error message... but only the first time (if I then click the button again, with no file added, I no longer get an error message). When I click the "Bilingual Export" button when a file was added, nothing happens -- not an error message, nor a status message, nor nothing else.

I did not tinker with the TXLF file.

[Edited at 2018-12-04 21:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GLP in WFP5 (or: does WFP5 have bilingual review or not)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »