Chat feature - useless for communicating among PMs, vendors, and translators on specific segment?
Thread poster: tz7
tz7
tz7
United States
Local time: 14:48
English to Japanese
Oct 10, 2023

We are looking for a good way to communicate (adding instructions for translators, receiving questions on a specific segment, etc.) between the vendor and their translators. I thought the Chat feature in XTM can be used but found it was useless.

This is what I did:

1. I created a non-PM account and assigned a test project to them.
2. Logged in as the non-PM account and open the project in Workbench.
3. Added a chat message to a segment (as a question for th
... See more
We are looking for a good way to communicate (adding instructions for translators, receiving questions on a specific segment, etc.) between the vendor and their translators. I thought the Chat feature in XTM can be used but found it was useless.

This is what I did:

1. I created a non-PM account and assigned a test project to them.
2. Logged in as the non-PM account and open the project in Workbench.
3. Added a chat message to a segment (as a question for the PM).
4. Clicked the entry in the Chats tab. An error "The chat could not be opened" is shown and can't check what message I just entered.
5. Logged in as a PM.
6. Added an answer as a reply to the translators message.
7. Logged in as the non-PM account and opened the chat by clicking the notification in the Tasks view. I could not tell which segment the reply was for. So opened Workbench and clicked the entry in the Chats tab. The new error is shown: The chat is now open in a separate XTM Cloud view.

So the translator need to go back to the Tasks view to see the reply. But can't tell which reply is for which segment!

We decided this feature was not what we wanted. Why the translator can't see the reply directly in the segment in Workbench?? They have to go back and forth. And very hard to find the answer for the specific segment.

Anyone using Chat?
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Chat feature - useless for communicating among PMs, vendors, and translators on specific segment?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »