Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills? Postavljač teme: ProZ.com Staff
|
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills?".
View the poll results »
| | | | | How the heck would I know ... | Oct 9 |
... if I do not, and will not, as a matter of principle, "rely on real-time AI translation" for anything?
JL | | | | Thayenga Njemačka Local time: 04:50 Član (2009) engleski na njemački + ...
Not even in my most audacious dreams would I even consider such a foolishness.
Customers even explicitly ask for human translations and will not accept any MT products. If I'm not mistaken, then AI is not human.
Btw. has anybody noticed that this is yet another AI related question? Taking the chance of repeating myself, how boring. | | | |
Does reading Proz poll questions erode our will to live?
Answers:
a) Yes
b) Yes, only more so. | | |
|
|
|
I don’t want to skip the mental effort and for the moment I don’t need to free up brainpower.
 | | | | Hipyan Nopri Indonezija Local time: 09:50 engleski na indonezijski + ... | A discussion partner, not a replacement | Oct 9 |
I voted for the fourth option.
In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.
If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.
However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge. ... See more I voted for the fourth option.
In my own experience, the effect depends largely on how the tool is used.
If AI output is accepted without question, I can see how a translator’s skills might gradually weaken.
However, when I treat AI as a discussion partner, questioning its suggestions, checking terminology against reliable sources, and weighing alternative renderings, I find that it actually sharpens my critical thinking and broadens my knowledge.
I also compare the output of two different AI tools, since each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Sometimes one offers the better rendering or term, and sometimes the other does, so I still have to evaluate both and decide for myself.
In the end, the responsibility for every word and every decision remains with the translator, and I believe that is exactly where it should stay. ▲ Collapse | | | | To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator: You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request » Poll: Does relying on real-time AI translation erode our cognitive skills? | CafeTran Espresso | You've never met a CAT tool this clever!
Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer.
Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools.
Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free
Buy now! » |
| | PerfectIt | Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance
PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.
More info » |
|
| | | | X Sign in to your ProZ.com account... | | | | | |