Notepad++ for macOS
Postavljač teme: CafeTran Trainer
CafeTran Trainer
CafeTran Trainer
Nizozemska
Član (2006)
njemački na nizozemski
+ ...
Apr 30

It’s finally there, and as a native macOS app: the famous Notepad++ from Windows now as Notepad++ for macOS. https://notepad-plus-plus-mac.org

The app is Apple Developer ID-signed and notarized, so macOS Gatekeeper won't give you any trouble. It feels right at home on a Mac, with native menus, file pickers, and keyboard shortcuts.


 
Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Grčka
Local time: 02:03
engleski na grčki
+ ...
Coded by AI agents Apr 30

On the Authors of Notepad++ page, it says: "The port is written in Objective-C++ on top of Scintilla and Cocoa (the "right way" instead of a Wine wrapper), and multi-agent AI development workflows are what make a one-person project at this scale practical." (emphasis mine)

CafeTran Trainer
 
CafeTran Trainer
CafeTran Trainer
Nizozemska
Član (2006)
njemački na nizozemski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
First fork May 2

One of the developers from www.manytricks.com already forked Notepad++: https://github.com/rfgmacros/Notepad-modRG



[Edited at 2026-05-02 14:22 GMT]


 
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
Ujedinjeno Kraljevstvo
Local time: 00:03
Član
nizozemski
+ ...
and? May 3

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

On the Authors of Notepad++ page, it says: "The port is written in Objective-C++ on top of Scintilla and Cocoa (the "right way" instead of a Wine wrapper), and multi-agent AI development workflows are what make a one-person project at this scale practical." (emphasis mine)


I'm assuming your emphasis is meant to convey that you disapprove. Is this true?


 
Michelle den Boer
Michelle den Boer
Nizozemska
Local time: 01:03
engleski na nizozemski
Congrats! May 3

As a Windows user, I can't imagine working without Notepad++, whether it's for writing Python code, making simple notes, updating websites or editing large text files.

I hope this helps others port it to Linux. Once I asked an open-source software developer why so many of them used VSCode. Apparently, there's no good general text editor available on Linux, unless you want to use vi/vim or Emacs in the terminal.

On the other hand, note that Don Ho, the creator of Notepad
... See more
As a Windows user, I can't imagine working without Notepad++, whether it's for writing Python code, making simple notes, updating websites or editing large text files.

I hope this helps others port it to Linux. Once I asked an open-source software developer why so many of them used VSCode. Apparently, there's no good general text editor available on Linux, unless you want to use vi/vim or Emacs in the terminal.

On the other hand, note that Don Ho, the creator of Notepad++, isn't happy with this development. He called it fake and a trademark violation. It's a red flag that the person who did this didn't ask for permission to use the name. The code may be open source, but that doesn't mean you can copy the brand.

You could also try another version which might be less polished.
▲ Collapse


CafeTran Trainer
Li-Hsiang Hsu
Erwin van Wouw
 
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
Ujedinjeno Kraljevstvo
Local time: 00:03
Član
nizozemski
+ ...
Yikes May 3

Michelle den Boer wrote:

As a Windows user, I can't imagine working without Notepad++, whether it's for writing Python code, making simple notes, updating websites or editing large text files.

I hope this helps others port it to Linux. Once I asked an open-source software developer why so many of them used VSCode. Apparently, there's no good general text editor available on Linux, unless you want to use vi/vim or Emacs in the terminal.

On the other hand, note that Don Ho, the creator of Notepad++, isn't happy with this development. He called it fake and a trademark violation. It's a red flag that the person who did this didn't ask for permission to use the name. The code may be open source, but that doesn't mean you can copy the brand.

You could also try another version which might be less polished.


Wow, now that does change things. Separate from the issue of whether it's good or bad to code with AI, I don't think the person should be stealing the Notepad++ name or code!


 
CafeTran Trainer
CafeTran Trainer
Nizozemska
Član (2006)
njemački na nizozemski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Trademark infringement May 4

The developer of the Mac app writes:

ANNOUNCEMENT
In coordination with Don Ho, the creator of the original Notepad++, I'll be evolving the branding of the macOS version so it stands on its own while respecting its lineage. These updates, such as a new logo, a refined name, and likely a new domain will ship with version 1.0.6 in the coming days. Continuity for existing users is a priority, and I'll make the transition as seamless as I can. Thank you for your patience


Li-Hsiang Hsu
 
Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Grčka
Local time: 02:03
engleski na grčki
+ ...
I <3 it May 4

Michael Beijer wrote:

I'm assuming your emphasis is meant to convey that you disapprove. Is this true?


I just love it when a person who is not good at software development uses a machine that is not good at software development – and has been based on plagiarism, theft and pollution – to make something and then brag about it as if it were some sort of miraculous achievement.

How not to emphasize this! Vibe-coders are really smart, so smart! Some would say they are the smartest of all. It's wonderful what people can achieve when their moral compass points South.

[Edited at 2026-05-04 09:42 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notepad++ for macOS






PerfectIt
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance

PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »