原文如此 Apr 11, 2014

wherestip wrote:

clearwater wrote:

Fargoer wrote:

您可以根据全文判断这里的“选项”是不是关于新旧界面的选择。如果是,就可以考虑处理为“用回旧界面”、“需要或偏爱旧界面的用户”等,可以消除歧义,让读者一目了然。

Rather than walking anything back for everyone

我觉得这里的anything就是通常意义上的anything:涉及操作系统的方方面面,包括外观界面、功能特性和设置等等。

clearwater,

Aren't you even going to say something about posting text with missing essential information?

The original sentence fragment was:

Rather than walking anything back by changing the defaults for everyone, ...

Please don't tell me you left out the words in red deliberately, because the sentence fragment should be parsed as follows:

(Rather than walking anything back) | (by changing the defaults for everyone), ...

The meaning was practically altered when you dropped the words "by changing the defaults".

[Edited at 2014-04-11 02:39 GMT]

Steven,不好意思。您误会我的意思了,我没有故意漏掉by changing the defaults这部分。
原文如下:
That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. Rather than walking anything back for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them.
http://www.imore.com/ios-71-review

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:11
Chinese to English
谢谢 Apr 11, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

Phil Hand wrote:

Rather than walking anything back for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them.

但苹果公司因为不愿意普遍取消系统中的新功能,影响所有用户,所以仅仅推出一些新的选择项目来满足有需要的用户。

您的译文中的“所有用户”才是正确的用法。

你的提醒很有意思,正是这样子的非常接近的同义词问题经常让我很费解。

1)但苹果公司因为不愿意普遍取消系统中的新功能,影响所有用户...
2)但苹果公司因为不愿意普遍取消系统中的新功能,影响每个用户...

我有一点感觉第一句比较好,但是本来没有觉得第二句是错误,而且我不知道为什么这里用“所有”更好。有没有谁能讲一讲“所有”和“每个”的不同含义和用法?

[Edited at 2014-04-11 07:28 GMT]

deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 13:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
文化差异 Apr 11, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:
而且我不知道为什么这里用“所有”更好。有没有谁能讲一讲“所有”和“每个”的不同含义和用法?

[Edited at 2014-04-11 07:28 GMT]

我个人看法:

在此处两者意思相同,皆可以使用。但是中国文化下意识地喜欢从群体角度讲问题,而现代企业文化强调每一个用户都是一个个体。

所以如果我希望让中国很多人看着顺眼的话,就用“所有人”,但是如果我想进一步表现出来原文中的那种把每个顾客视为一个个体的那种视觉角度,那就用后者。后者反映出了更多的细微内容。

我个人喜欢用后者,因为我觉得翻译的任务是尽可能地反映出原文中的每一层细微的意思,即使读者可能会觉得有“翻译腔”也在所不惜,因为读者毕竟是在阅读另一种文化的人所写的内容,所以注定了如果你将原文各个层次的内容表达出来的越多,读者越会需要一些努力来消化。

如果在一百多年前,翻译《撒克逊劫后英雄传》(Ivanhoe)还需要用文言文呢,以照顾当时读者的感觉。从那以来,随着读者逐渐习惯于长的欧化语句和一些新概念,译者越来越敢于得寸进尺,其结果是今天的译文已经比100年前的译文更能够反映出原文里面的很多细微内容了,而且还能够被今天的读者读懂和接受。

[Edited at 2014-04-11 08:55 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
所见略同 Apr 11, 2014

he-li wrote:

在此处两者意思相同,皆可以使用。但是中国文化下意识地喜欢从群体角度讲问题,而现代企业文化强调每一个用户都是一个个体。

在这里两种用法的意思是一样的。我个人也是略微偏爱“每个用户”的译法。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
I see ... what I found was a review from 4 days earlier Apr 11, 2014

clearwater,

My sincere apologies to you for jumping to conclusions.

I guess the author thought he improved on the clarity of his prose when he wrote a more comprehensive review of the 7.1 release software versus his prior review on a smaller scope.

While I rather feel the isolated sentence in question became more ambiguous. Of course the operative word is “isolated”.

Anyway, by reading just a tad more context, it’s clear what the author
... See more
clearwater,

My sincere apologies to you for jumping to conclusions.

I guess the author thought he improved on the clarity of his prose when he wrote a more comprehensive review of the 7.1 release software versus his prior review on a smaller scope.

While I rather feel the isolated sentence in question became more ambiguous. Of course the operative word is “isolated”.

Anyway, by reading just a tad more context, it’s clear what the author was referring to. He basically meant Apple did not choose to return to the old way things were displayed in the user interface for all users. Instead, they stuck to their design vision of iOS7. In addition to many other improvements, they also provided a toggling option for people who preferred the older interface design schemes, for example, showing more distinct embossed button shapes around “naked” texts and icons,etc..

Mar 13, 2014 Review:

That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. Rather than walking anything back by changing the defaults for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want thm(sic). My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped. So, the settings are indeed a middle ground. Something that's there for those who find iOS 7 challenging or distressing to use.

I still like the overall design of iOS 7, including the default typography, animations, and contrasts. The naked buttons haven't hurt usability for me but they still seem unfinished, design-wise. Either way, I've not enabled any of the walk-backs above. However, if iOS 7 was hard for you to read, if it made you motion sick, or if was in any way difficult or uncomfortable for you to use, these news settings will provide some welcome relief.

The same segment of text in his Mar 17, 2014 Review:

That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. Rather than walking anything back for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them. My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped. So, the new settings are a middle ground. Something that's there for those who find iOS 7 challenging or distressing to use.

I still like the overall design of iOS 7, including the default typography, animations, and contrasts. The naked buttons haven't hurt usability for me but do still seem unfinished, design-wise. Either way, I've not enabled any of the new settings above. However, if iOS 7 was hard for you to read, if it made you motion sick, or if was in any way difficult or uncomfortable for you to use, these news settings will provide some welcome relief.

Collapse

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
我对 want 的理解 Apr 11, 2014

Fargoer wrote:

“特别喜欢旧版本”的措辞有点发挥,因为“want”一词在这里很难译。直接译为“想要”或“很想要”,没人能明白。我理解,英文原文中的“need” 指的是不会用新版本的用户的要求,他们需要回到旧版本才能使用;而“want”则是指对老版本情有独钟的用户,他们不是不会用新的,而是舍不得放弃旧的,“想要”旧的。

我觉得 need 译为“需要”,want 译为“想要”就行了。前者多强调客观,后者更强调主观。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
好译文的标准 Apr 12, 2014

我觉得,理想的译文应该是恰如其分,无过无不及。优秀的译者应该像数学家一样,译出的文字准确无误。:-)

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 12:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
“太居住了” & “太居住在家里了” & “居住太多了” :-P Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, right!
Thank you.

teresadong wrote: 宅:居住

QHE wrote:

Fishiewishie wrote:
...我们的工作太宅了,与人本应有的自然状态相去甚远~

Yan Yuliang wrote:
...最近宅太多了,感觉也不好。

知道 “宅男宅女” 的用法,可是"宅" 字 在 上面 两 处 又是 什么 用法 呢 ? 什么 词 性 ?

如:
我王来,既爰宅于兹。——《书·盘庚上》

流行用语中的宅,应该是“宅在家里”的简称吧,因为所居住之地也叫宅啊,所谓“宅在宅中”太拗口了,所以,简称宅。

咬文嚼字毕。:p

宅在:
http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/264736-关于文娱活动的任何话题-page3.html#2285794

[Edited at 2014-04-12 13:26 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
恰如其分 Apr 12, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

我觉得,理想的译文应该是恰如其分,无过无不及。优秀的译者应该像数学家一样,译出的文字准确无误。:-)

对的。

但我是理解 clearwater 对这句话翻译上碰到的苦衷的。即便是彻底吃透了意思,翻译成中文也是不易的, 因为原文短短几个字包含了很多层意思, 并不是简单地指 恢复成原状。

It's providing a "middle ground", as the author further said in the next paragraph. For example, in the 7.1 release, a user is able to choose his own typeface, whether regular or bold, turn on or turn off the animation, plus having all sorts of display options.

As clearwater was confused about, it is not purely related to interface appearance per se, but most of it is. And also when one wants to define it as returning to the past display appearances, it is actually not. Apple basically did away with the old design appearances completely. The displays are rather more snazzy and streamlined compared to older generations, whether one turns on the new optional settings or not. It is still a complete innovative design unique to the iOS7 release.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
If I were to say it in a verb form Apr 12, 2014

QHE wrote:

Yeah, right!
Thank you.

teresadong wrote: 宅:居住

QHE wrote:

Fishiewishie wrote:
...我们的工作太宅了,与人本应有的自然状态相去甚远~

Yan Yuliang wrote:
...最近宅太多了,感觉也不好。

知道 “宅男宅女” 的用法,可是"宅" 字 在 上面 两 处 又是 什么 用法 呢 ? 什么 词 性 ?

如:
我王来,既爰宅于兹。——《书·盘庚上》

流行用语中的宅,应该是“宅在家里”的简称吧,因为所居住之地也叫宅啊,所谓“宅在宅中”太拗口了,所以,简称宅。

咬文嚼字毕。:p

待在家里,隐居? It probably just means living a sedentary lifestyle, being a homebody.

形容词的话: 太与世隔绝了, 太静僻了。

[Edited at 2014-04-12 15:01 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apple Innovations Apr 12, 2014

Speaking of which, I'm extremely impressed by Apple's innovations. The same goes for their biggest competitor in the space of communication devices: Samsung.

I'm a big fan of computers having an internal DVD drive. So figuring before Apple did away with the last MacBook model that still comes with an internal superdrive, I recently bought one. I like its compact design, but still felt it was a little too heavy to carry around the house. So I sprung for a MacBook Air. Really imp
... See more
Speaking of which, I'm extremely impressed by Apple's innovations. The same goes for their biggest competitor in the space of communication devices: Samsung.

I'm a big fan of computers having an internal DVD drive. So figuring before Apple did away with the last MacBook model that still comes with an internal superdrive, I recently bought one. I like its compact design, but still felt it was a little too heavy to carry around the house. So I sprung for a MacBook Air. Really impressed with the latter, I bought a third ... 真有点儿烧包! ... Anyway, I like to purchase multiples when I like a product.

I refuse to play into the exorbitant pricing schemes phone companies charge their customers, so I never bought into the smartphone idea personally. Besides, whom am I to call, and who wants to squint at a 4" screen all the time? But after seeing all the cool features and capabilities in that article - with all the animation and stuff - I just might get an iPad Air. I'm sure it's even lighter than a MacBook Air.

[Edited at 2014-04-12 23:05 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just a thought Apr 12, 2014

... 而不是使人人都得退倒车。

FWIW.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Rather than walking anything back for everyone ... Apr 12, 2014

wherestip wrote:

... 而不是使人人都得退倒车。

FWIW.

... 而不是使人人在任何方面上须要退开倒车。

... 而不是使人人在任何方面上须要向后倒退。

说来说去,我觉得还是 J.H. 最初建议的这个主意好,可谓恰如其分。The overall meaning is correct; and it isn't too specific, unnecessarily putting words into the author's mouth.

But you'd never know. There's always the risk of some "editor" coming along saying you weren't specific enough and didn't bring out the implicit meaning of the original text. I would think that's what a translator dreads or hates the most after thoroughly doing research on an issue and deciding on a tradeoff.

[Edited at 2014-04-13 11:19 GMT]

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Style Apr 12, 2014

wherestip wrote:

待在家里,隐居? It probably just means living a sedentary lifestyle, being a homebody.

形容词的话: 太与世隔绝了, 太静僻了。

Steve, thank you.

我也倾向这样的表达,对网络流行用语真是知之甚少.

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
立场要坚定! :-D Apr 12, 2014

wherestip wrote:

。。。 who wants to squint at a 4" screen all the time? But after seeing all the cool features and capabilities in that article - with all the animation and stuff - I just might think about getting an iPad. I'm sure it's even lighter than a MacBook Air.

[Edited at 2014-04-13 02:37 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教一个短语walk anything back的意思。

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »