请教一个短语walk anything back的意思。
Thread poster: clearwater
clearwater
clearwater
China
Local time: 01:53
English to Chinese
Apr 7, 2014

That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. {Rather than walking anything back for everyone}, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them. My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped.
苹果认为需要添加这些设置,这颇
... See more
That Apple felt the need to add these settings is interesting. It appears to acknowledge that some people had serious usability issues with iOS 7. {Rather than walking anything back for everyone}, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them. My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped.
苹果认为需要添加这些设置,这颇耐人寻味。它似乎承认,一些人使用iOS 7时遇到了严重的易用性问题。苹果仅仅为有需要或很想要的那些人增添了选项,而不是为每个人XXXX。
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_chinese/it_information_technology/5522365-walking_anything_back.html

网上粗粗查了一下,发现walking anything back这样的用法似乎还有不少,但不明白具体是啥意思。

谢谢指点!
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:53
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
walk back Apr 7, 2014

Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
English[edit]Verb[edit]walk back (third-person singular simple present walks back, present participle walking back, simple past and past participle walked back)

Used other than as an idiom: see walk,‎ back.
(transitive) To withdraw or back-pedal on a statement or promise; retract.  [quotations ▼]
2010, Greg Sargent, The Plumb Line:
Did Obama walk back his support of Cor
... See more
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
English[edit]Verb[edit]walk back (third-person singular simple present walks back, present participle walking back, simple past and past participle walked back)

Used other than as an idiom: see walk,‎ back.
(transitive) To withdraw or back-pedal on a statement or promise; retract.  [quotations ▼]
2010, Greg Sargent, The Plumb Line:
Did Obama walk back his support of Cordoba House? As you know, the Internets are alive with the claim that Obama has now walked back his support of Cordoba House, and I've gotten tons of emails telling me that my earlier praise of the speech is no longer operative. But did he really walk back what he said last night?
Synonyms[edit](retract): unsay, unspeak, take back
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
Retract, undo Apr 7, 2014

Agree. The wiktionary explanation cited by pk applies exactly in this circumstance. Here's the wiktionary link ...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/walk_back

(To display the example about Obama walking back his position on a certain issue, click on the upside-down triangle where it says "quotations".)

具体到这里,意思就是 "(不)从头来过" -
... See more
Agree. The wiktionary explanation cited by pk applies exactly in this circumstance. Here's the wiktionary link ...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/walk_back

(To display the example about Obama walking back his position on a certain issue, click on the upside-down triangle where it says "quotations".)

具体到这里,意思就是 "(不)从头来过" - 🈯️ Apple 并没有把 iOS 7 中 某些人不喜欢的 操作功能设置完全推翻(取缔、废除、摒弃),而是将其保留,但他们另外添加了其它新的操作功能设置的选择可能(options) 供那些人使用。

[Edited at 2014-04-07 23:54 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
"而不是为每个人XXXX" Apr 7, 2014

而不是迫使每个人都得从零开始, 即 start from square one. ( 🈯️ 如此不必人人都从头再学崭新的功能设置的操作)

[Edited at 2014-04-08 00:22 GMT]

clearwater
clearwater
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
具体措辞 Apr 7, 2014

谢谢PK和Steven!

不知这样翻译是否到位?

苹果仅仅为有需要或很想要的那些人增添了相关选项,而不是为每个人{恢复了所有功能}。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
可以考虑“每个用户” Apr 8, 2014

Rather than walking anything back for everyone, however, Apple simply added options for those who need or want them.

但苹果公司因为不愿意普遍取消系统中的新功能,影响所有用户,所以仅仅推出一些新的选择项目来满足有需要的用户。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
原地踏步 ? Apr 8, 2014

wherestip wrote:

而不是迫使每个人都得从零开始, 即 start from square one. ( 🈯️ 如此不必人人都从头再学崭新的功能设置的操作)

[Edited at 2014-04-08 00:22 GMT]

同意 PK 和 Steve 的解释。这个美国英文在原文语境会否有 ’原地踏步‘ 的含义?

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
同意这种理解 Apr 8, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Apple 并没有把 iOS 7 中 某些人不喜欢的 操作功能设置完全推翻(取缔、废除、摒弃),而是将其保留

苹果并没有因为一些用户碰到易用性问题就将 iOS 7 的任何东西倒退回到之前的版本,而是为一些用户添加他们需要的选项。

walk back 字面意思就是走回头路,退回去,就是倒退到 iOS 7 之前的版本。

[Edited at 2014-04-08 11:52 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
iOS7 was launched on September 18th, 2013 Apr 8, 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_7

... According to its Wikipedia page, the most recent update, 7.1, was released on March 10, 2014.

So the passage in question is talking about the modifications Apple made in the most recent release.

Instead of doing away with the existing functions that some users found unfriendly and hard to
... See more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_7

... According to its Wikipedia page, the most recent update, 7.1, was released on March 10, 2014.

So the passage in question is talking about the modifications Apple made in the most recent release.

Instead of doing away with the existing functions that some users found unfriendly and hard to use, Apple simply added some new settings for these people. They have left these functions and function settings in place, because as the author of this passage speculates: "My guess is that Jony Ive and team still firmly believe in the direction they took iOS 7, they just feel it's taking the rest of us a little longer to adjust to it than they'd hoped."

[Edited at 2014-04-09 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
some explanation Apr 8, 2014

clearwater wrote:

谢谢PK和Steven!

不知这样翻译是否到位?

苹果仅仅为有需要或很想要的那些人增添了相关选项,而不是为每个人{恢复了所有功能}。

clearwater,

“... 而不是 给每个用户添麻烦,取消了 他们喜欢 并已经习惯了的功能。”

In other words, not everyone complained about a usability issue. Some instead liked the functions just fine. Therefore it's unfair for Apple to take away what works for this group of people and make them have to relearn something, whether it's a new function or a new setting.

Of course I'm just adding stuff for explanation. You should put it into your own words. But the meaning has to be correct.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
是这样 Apr 8, 2014

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

对,这样理解是不错的。 是不是倒退到 iOS6 的版本 文章就没具体说了。我个人认为另起炉灶、从头来过 也应该算是 walking back on some of the existing functions of iOS7.

不管怎样,我觉得 “倒退”、“取消”、“摒弃” 这些字眼比较好。 “ 恢复” 就比较令人难以捉摸。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
"This is for you" Apr 8, 2014

This discussion reminded me of something that happened years ago.

My parents of course had friends who stayed in the U.S. and never moved back to China. One time a couple came to visit us while on vacation in Beijing, along with their elder son and younger daughter. Unlike my parents, this couple made a special effort in teaching their kids Chinese. They sent them to Chinese language schools, and spoke to them in Chinese at home, etc..

Anyway, to get to the point ...
... See more
This discussion reminded me of something that happened years ago.

My parents of course had friends who stayed in the U.S. and never moved back to China. One time a couple came to visit us while on vacation in Beijing, along with their elder son and younger daughter. Unlike my parents, this couple made a special effort in teaching their kids Chinese. They sent them to Chinese language schools, and spoke to them in Chinese at home, etc..

Anyway, to get to the point ... Of course my mom and dad thought very highly of the couple's efforts and the kids' talent. Yet I remember my mom making a good-humored observation after their visit, that the little girl's mental process remained in English when she spoke in Chinese. While presenting one of their gifts, the girl said to the person it was intended for, "这是为你的".

[Edited at 2014-04-09 02:17 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
具体措辞 Apr 8, 2014

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

对,这样理解是不错的。 是不是倒退到 iOS6 的版本 文章就没具体说了。我个人认为另起炉灶、从头来过 也应该算是 walking back on some of the existing functions of iOS7.

不管怎样,我觉得 “倒退”、“取消”、“摒弃” 这些字眼比较好。 “ 恢复” 就比较令人难以捉摸。

倒退复旧、倒退还原?

"而不是使所有用户在任一功能上全都须要倒退还原"。

... Just a thought.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
新闻 vs ‘老闻’ Apr 8, 2014

也听过相似的故事:

一个朋友和家人吃睌饭时,说了一个新闻故事。大家听了后,他那个在英国长大,自以为很追上新闻脉搏的儿子说,你说的新闻已经是老消息了 (old news)。

不是新闻!

:)

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
为、给、使 ... Apr 8, 2014

David Lin wrote:

也听过相似的故事:

一个朋友和家人吃睌饭时,说了一个新闻故事。大家听了后,他那个在英国长大,自以为很追上新闻脉搏的儿子说,你说的新闻已经是老消息了 (old news)。

不是新闻!

:)

David, thanks. That's pretty funny.

Anyway, the reason for me telling that story is to demonstrate the importance of choosing the right words.

"Walking anything back for everyone" is not a good thing. That's why Apple tried to avoid it. When we translate, we have to choose the right words to convey the right logic.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

请教一个短语walk anything back的意思。

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »