Thread poster: Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
Local time: 01:08
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 23, 2009

Does anyone have experience in working with dual monitors?

Several studies show that productivity is increased with 20-30% when working with two monitors compated to one. I don't expect to translate that much faster, but other tasks might go faster. If i can save 3-4 minutes work a day that would pay for the extra cost, so it might be worth a try.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Johnny Dec 23, 2009

I have 2 x 22" monitors (I had a 18" + 22" before), and it so comfortable that I would never return back to a single monitor. Two wide monitors allow you having four full pages opened (when working with texts); otherwise you can keep your emailer and/or browser on one screen, and text files and dictionaries on the other one. In other words, whatever you are doing, there is no need to dig out necessary windows when your screen is overcrowded with opened files.

Natalia

david young
david young  Identity Verified
France
French to English
have you tried Dec 23, 2009

ctrl+F6 to switch back and forth between documents on the same screen? That's the solution I use when working in Word. No head or eye movement involved.
The other keyboard shortcut is alt+tab to switch between apps.
Bear in mind also that using a single screen (on a laptop) allows you to work where you like.

[Edited at 2009-12-23 16:04 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Discussed earlier Dec 23, 2009

There have been a few threads about it. The bottom line is that everyone who tried two screens is reluctant to go back to one... I know I wouldn't.
If you have a reasonably modern laptop, it should have a port for an external monitor. If you use a desktop, check if the video card has a second port - older or bottom or the barrel cards may not have one.

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+F6 Dec 23, 2009

Hi David,

I usually have 8-10 different applications open at a time, and ctrl+f6 is a Word shortcut.

But thanks anyway.

- Johnny

david young wrote:

ctrl+F6 to switch back and forth between documents on the same screen? That's the solution I use when working in Word. No head or eye movement involved.

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have to try it then Dec 23, 2009

Thanks, Natalie. I guess I just have to try it.

Natalie wrote:

I have 2 x 22" monitors (I had a 18" + 22" before), and it so comfortable that I would never return back to a single monitor. Two wide monitors allow you having four full pages opened (when working with texts); otherwise you can keep your emailer and/or browser on one screen, and text files and dictionaries on the other one. In other words, whatever you are doing, there is no need to dig out necessary windows when your screen is overcrowded with opened files.

Natalia

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Previous discussion Dec 23, 2009

You may find this discussion I started a while ago helpful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/65768-setting_up_a_two_monitor_system:_is_it_worth_it.html

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
French to English
+ ...
Invaluable Dec 23, 2009

Go for it! I couldn't imagine not working with two now. I usually have my source reference file, be it pdf, powerpoint, whatever, open on my second screen and my Word document with my TM etc on the main screen, then also have the internet/e-mail etc on the second screen. Given the small outlasy required for a second monitor, I would say it's definitely worthwhile.

All the best,

Claire

Shelley Gehret Sechler
Shelley Gehret Sechler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:08
Member (2009)
Japanese to English
3 monitors Dec 23, 2009

I have been using 3 23" monitors for the last 8 months and love it. Research is on one screen, the project and translation software on another, and on the third: query sheet, skype, and sometimes another browser with more research. Also, on a physical level, I find that moving my head to view each screen decreases should pain and neck tension that result after putting in long hours at my desk.

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the link. I didn't get anything useful when searching on proz.com, but I can see that it's called both two-monitor, dual monitor, multiple monitors etc.

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

You may find this discussion I started a while ago helpful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/65768-setting_up_a_two_monitor_system:_is_it_worth_it.html

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excersice Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for all the great feedback. I like this one about getting more excersice as well

Shelley Gehret Nishi wrote:

I have been using 3 23" monitors for the last 8 months and love it. Research is on one screen, the project and translation software on another, and on the third: query sheet, skype, and sometimes another browser with more research. Also, on a physical level, I find that moving my head to view each screen decreases should pain and neck tension that result after putting in long hours at my desk.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:08
Member (2004)
English to Italian
buying 3rd one soon... Dec 23, 2009

cannot have enough screens...

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
still stuck on 2 monitors? Dec 23, 2009

I have just bought the tenth, but I'm willing to throw them in the dustbin and pass on a 10 meters plasma monitor next year ...
))

Claudio

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Wow Dec 23, 2009

Claudio Porcellana wrote:
I have just bought the tenth, but I'm willing to throw them in the dustbin and pass on a 10 meters plasma monitor next year ...
))
Claudio

How do you connect 10 monitors together, pray tell?

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
How do you connect 10 monitors together? Dec 23, 2009

I use Cybertelepathic™ connectors, but they are very expensive
this is why I want to buy a 10 meters plasma monitor
LOL

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2009-12-23 13:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with dual monitors

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »