Thread poster: patriciabr
patriciabr
patriciabr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:51
English to Spanish
Dec 20, 2010

Hi, it's me again.

I'm trying to run a spell check in my target but the option in the menu is greyed out. I was able to right click on a segment and use the option Spelling for Segment. First of all, it didn't recognize the language as Spanish and it marked every word as a mistake; second, I need to figure out how to do it for the whole document. I tried selecting my target text with Control+Shift+End and then right clicking on it to see if it would give me an option, to no avail.... See more
Hi, it's me again.

I'm trying to run a spell check in my target but the option in the menu is greyed out. I was able to right click on a segment and use the option Spelling for Segment. First of all, it didn't recognize the language as Spanish and it marked every word as a mistake; second, I need to figure out how to do it for the whole document. I tried selecting my target text with Control+Shift+End and then right clicking on it to see if it would give me an option, to no avail.

Why do you think the Spell Check option is greyed out? Should I do something else before running a spell check?

Thanks again for your valuable help.

Paty
Collapse

Christopher Schmidt
Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
openoffice dictionary Dec 21, 2010

Before you can run a spell check, you'll need to first install an openoffice spell checker dictionary, available from openoffice.org. Details on the installation procedure can be found in chapter 8 of the the NXT installation instructions (essentially, you download a dictionary from the openoffice.org dictionary page and place it in a specified subfolder in your transit nxt installation directory)... See more
Before you can run a spell check, you'll need to first install an openoffice spell checker dictionary, available from openoffice.org. Details on the installation procedure can be found in chapter 8 of the the NXT installation instructions (essentially, you download a dictionary from the openoffice.org dictionary page and place it in a specified subfolder in your transit nxt installation directory).

http://tools.telecampus.ch/Downloads/Technische-Dokumentation/Transit_TermStar_NXT_Installationshandbuch/eng_installation.pdf

Hope this helps!
Chris
Collapse

patriciabr
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Chris Dec 21, 2010

Thanks for the ìnfo. I'll do it and see what happens.

Paty

patriciabr
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Copying the aff and dic files did not work Dec 21, 2010

I have followed the instructions and downloaded the files aff and dic and created a Spell folder in the path C:/Program Files/Transit NXT/Spell

but nothing happened.

If someone knows what I've done wrong please let me know.

Thanks,

Patricia

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:51
German to English
+ ...
Are the dictionaries activated? Dec 22, 2010

Make sure the dictionaries are included in the spellcheck under

Review > Spellcheck > Based on... > Default dictionary

HTH,
Cheers
Jill

patriciabr
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Activation of dictionary Dec 22, 2010

Thank Jillian. That option that you mention is also greyed out and I cannot change it either.

Paty

Slawomir Nieciecki
Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Patricia, Feb 11, 2011

copy dictionaries into following folder
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\spell
Just paste this address to explorer (you will not be able to navigate there manually).
Then review > spell-check>auto (check the box).
Enjoy!

Lynn Webb
Lynn Webb  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:51
German to English
Solution for disabled spell check Feb 25, 2011

If the spelling option is greyed out, do the following:

1. Close Transit.
2. Make sure you have the correct path to your "spell" folder by checking the path in the starte.ini file, which is located in the Transit program's "bin" folder.
3. Make sure the spelling dictionary files _.aff and _.dic are in the folder.
4. Copy the spell folder somewhere else temporarily.
5. Restart Transit. You should notice that the spelling option is now available. Try to use it
... See more
If the spelling option is greyed out, do the following:

1. Close Transit.
2. Make sure you have the correct path to your "spell" folder by checking the path in the starte.ini file, which is located in the Transit program's "bin" folder.
3. Make sure the spelling dictionary files _.aff and _.dic are in the folder.
4. Copy the spell folder somewhere else temporarily.
5. Restart Transit. You should notice that the spelling option is now available. Try to use it. It will give you an error message indicating that no spelling dictionary could be found.
6. Close Transit. Copy the spell folder back into the correct location based on the path information in the starte.ini file.
7. Relaunch Transit. You should now notice that the spelling option is available again. When you run it, it should now be able to use the dictionaries in your spell folder.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.
Collapse

Steve Poynter
Steve Poynter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:51
German to English
Check the location where Transit was installed Feb 27, 2011

Hi all,

I had this problem, Transit simply would not recognise the spell check files, even though they were in the location specified by the starte.ini file (the exact location seems to vary depending on the install and/or version of Windows).

After looking at several support forum discussions and consulting the manual in detail, I found out that Transit must be installed in its own folder, and not in the 'Programs'/'Program Files' folder (even though this is the locat
... See more
Hi all,

I had this problem, Transit simply would not recognise the spell check files, even though they were in the location specified by the starte.ini file (the exact location seems to vary depending on the install and/or version of Windows).

After looking at several support forum discussions and consulting the manual in detail, I found out that Transit must be installed in its own folder, and not in the 'Programs'/'Program Files' folder (even though this is the location that the installer suggests!).

This is where I installed Transit originally, so I had to reinstall Transit in a different location - in a directory on the C: drive, which I named 'Transit'. This resulted in a different 'spell' folder being created in this 'Transit' folder. I then put the .aff and .dic files into this 'spell' folder, as previous posters here and the manual advise; this time it worked! For whatever reason, on my computer, Transit simply would not recognise the .aff and .dic files if they were anywhere in the 'Programs'/'Program Files' folder.

So if I were you and you've still not managed to get it working, I'd check to see where Transit is installed - if it's in the 'Programs'/'Program Files' folder, you may want to try reinstalling it in its own folder, such as 'C:\Transit' or similar. It's a bit of a hassle, but that's what worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Collapse

Paraskevas Stavrakos
Paraskevas Stavrakos  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:51
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
Many thanks to Lynn May 1, 2014

Thank you Lynn,

Your method worked for me for Greek.
I copied the .aff, .dic files for the greek language which I found on the internet into "spell" folder and it really worked.

The fault message that showed up before solving it was:
The spellchecker for Greek is not installed/selected.

I own the following software:
Transit NXT Workstation
Version 4.0 SP 5

Thanks again
Paraskevas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell check with Transit NXT SP 3

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »