Belgium
Local time: 05:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 26, 2002

Search in a totally different way - have a look at what KartOO has to offer at

http://www.kartoo.com

KartOO SA

KartOO SA was created in 2001 and is the new designation of the Alcyon Interactive company. It is the outcome of a three-year research carried out by Laurent Baleydier and his team...

Their research focused on the optimization of systems that col
... See more
Search in a totally different way - have a look at what KartOO has to offer at

http://www.kartoo.com

KartOO SA

KartOO SA was created in 2001 and is the new designation of the Alcyon Interactive company. It is the outcome of a three-year research carried out by Laurent Baleydier and his team...

Their research focused on the optimization of systems that collect, analyse, organize and release structured and unstructured data as well as on graphic interfaces and their aesthetis features...

Supported by the Anvar, their study resulted in the development of KartOO technology, which allows you to:

- interrogate numerous information sources simultaneously when you set up a search,

- compile search results,

- sort out and classify various pieces of information according to their actual relevance to the query,

- give an at-a-glance look at the different themes connected to the request,

- visualise the semantic links which relate the various pieces of information to each other,

- Represent information using a cartographic interface.

Thanks to the use of an intuitive interface, KartOO technology does not require any prior knowledge and you can have access to all the different functions simply by using buttons or icons.

KartOO, a multi-media information retrieval technology

KartOO technology provides private users and companies with a range of software programs and solutions which enable them to perform information searches,using information resources as diverse as the Web, databases, Intranet documentary bases, software and portals.

KartOO, a multi-channels information retrieval technology

KartOO has been developped by its owners and can communicate with all types of formats. KartOO\'s adaptable search technology can be accessed from various devices such as PC, organizers, digital TVs, game consoles and mobile phones for example.

Have a nice weekend

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-27 10:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-27 12:25 ]
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Advertising ????????????? Jan 26, 2002

And I thought advertising was prohibited in forums !!! ???

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advertising? Jan 26, 2002

I have no clue who the people of KartOO are -I only know they did a nice job...

If this is advertising, I\'m afraid lots of the leads posted a bit everywhere in these forums will have to be deleted.

I consider this to be a referral.

If it\'s not, fine with me, the moderator may delete my posting immediately, but I\'ll then never post a \'translator resource\' again, as I\'m afraid most of the links suggested will sooner or later lead you to a (commercial)
... See more
I have no clue who the people of KartOO are -I only know they did a nice job...

If this is advertising, I\'m afraid lots of the leads posted a bit everywhere in these forums will have to be deleted.

If it\'s not, fine with me, the moderator may delete my posting immediately, but I\'ll then never post a \'translator resource\' again, as I\'m afraid most of the links suggested will sooner or later lead you to a (commercial) site.

Using KartOO, by the way, is free. No strings attached as far as I know.

Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Germany
German to English
And it can't even find my Website Jan 26, 2002

Or are sites in Germany not part of the search procedure?

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad, but did you try any of the following: Jan 26, 2002

Key tips to searching better

1/ The Advanced search Options 2/ Save a map for yourself or send it to a friend 3/ Find similar sites 4/ Increase the number of sites on your map 5/ Natural language 6/ Filter your results

The Advanced Search Options

To get to the \"advanced search\" options, click on the command \"advanced search\" in the menu \"options\" situated on the top-right of your screen.

To make it easy for you, Kartoo offers a
... See more
Key tips to searching better

1/ The Advanced search Options 2/ Save a map for yourself or send it to a friend 3/ Find similar sites 4/ Increase the number of sites on your map 5/ Natural language 6/ Filter your results

The Advanced Search Options

To get to the \"advanced search\" options, click on the command \"advanced search\" in the menu \"options\" situated on the top-right of your screen.

To make it easy for you, Kartoo offers a standard page which has all the typical features you find on a webpage. For example, if you write a word and click on \"address\", you will be able to retreive every page with an address (http://www...) containing the written word. KartOO translates your query so that each search engine can answer your request (it corresponds to inurl: for Google and url: for others). Up to now, not all search engines are able to translate the advanced queries (site,link...). But we will soon offer you a new and more effective version of advanced search.

Save a map

KartOO technology gives you the possibility to send a map to a friend or to yourself. (To do so, you should select the command \"Save a map\" or \"Send a map to a friend \"in the menu \"Exchanges\").

This function allows you to easily keep or transmit the addresses of a group of sites and the themes which link them up together. Thus, you or your friend can start the search again later, from where you had left it, and can update it or go deeper into it. All you have to do is type the corresponding e-mail addresses in the box \"Recipient\". Type your own address to save the map for yourself and be able to have a look at it whenever you want; or type your friend\'s address if you wish to share your search results. (you can also send a map to several people at the same time; write all the addresses by separating them with a semi-column).

Find similar sites

You may sometimes find on the map a site that perfectly fits to your search. When you click on the menu \"sites\" on the top-left of your screen, a list of similar sites appears.

Once you have located a perfect site within the list, click on the command that is on the further left of the site address. KartOO will then look for all the sites that are similar to the one you have selected. For example, if you applied this function to the site: www.renault.fr, you would be given all the sites of the other great car manufacturers. ( test this example and write directly like: www.renault.fr in the KartOO blank slot!).

Increase the number of sites per map

In the menu \"display\", you can decide on the number of sites to be displayed on each map.

When you increase the number of displayed sites, you improve the precision of your search. You obtain more relevant themes and the most important sites are in the centre of the map. However, you must get used to read such larger maps as they are more detailed but cluttered. In our next version of KartOO, you will be able to modify the maps yourself: conceal some links, cut some sites off... But you will still be able to send it to a friend or to yourself.

Natural Language

KartOO can answer questions.As soon as it detects a question-mark (don\'t forget to put it!), Kartoo interrogates the most effective search engines using natural language and draws the map of results.

Filter the results

Maps may contain \"superfluous sites\", that is sites that do not correspond at all to your query. To remove them, put the cursor over the common theme and click on the \"-\" button that appears.

You can also use advanced search and restrict the results to certain categories. For instance, you are looking for a certain company in France but your map is overrun with sites from Quebec (or the other way round!). What you can do is restrict the search to the sole \".fr\" field, or else, remove the field \".qc.ca\". Eventually, you can combine the advanced search options, especially using the \"+\" button, to filter the various pages according to their title, their cached keywords, the images they contain,etc...

Or you may go and ask the site developers for more info...

There\'s an online question form.

Or:

\"Nicolas Baleydier is entirely at your disposal should you have any question to ask.

Do not hesitate to get in touch with him:

By phone :

04 73 28 98 26

By post :

KartOO SA

10 allée Evariste Galois

La Pardieu

63063 Clermont-Ferrand\"

I wouldn\'t really know .

Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please don't stop: Jan 26, 2002

I\'m kinda hooked to your ongoing findings and info releases. It\'s nice to have someone out there with the time not just to find this data but to release it too. Thank you

Yours always

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm not impressed. Jan 26, 2002

All the text on the screen was almost too small to read —granted, I stay further from the monitor than most people, but still— and I couldn\'t get away with my back button, which had somehow greyed out. I\'ll stick with Google.

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Note from the moderator: the post is fine Jan 27, 2002

Quote:

If it\'s not, fine with me, the moderator may delete my posting immediately, but I\'ll then never post a \'translator resource\' again, as I\'m afraid most of the links suggested will sooner or later lead you to a (commercial) site.

... See more
Quote:

Hi users of this forum,

Evert Deloof\'s posting is fine. Thanks for posting, Evert. We all appreciate it. You\'re all welcome to share links here, provided they are useful to translators. And there is no question that search engines fall in this category.

ME ▲ Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Germany
German to English
Apologies Jan 27, 2002

Apologies, Evert, for overreacting. Perhaps if your posting had begun with \"Just found a great site:\" or similar I would have realised that it was a recommendation and not an ad.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Robert, Jan 27, 2002

No sweat.

I changed the heading a bit

In fact, I find it amazing that there are no more real rows and fights in our forums.

Imagine real-life gatherings of 28.000 people all free to say whatever they like within certain limits...

But that\'s another topic altogether.

Have a nice Sunday.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search Engine: KartOO - just found a potentially great site

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »