Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2002

Here is a link to a very interesting article about MT from Wired Magazine (May 2000)

You can read the complete article at:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.05/translation_pr.html

\"Talking to Strangers\" A renewed international effort is gearing up to design computers and software that smash language barriers and create a borderless glob
... See more
Here is a link to a very interesting article about MT from Wired Magazine (May 2000)

You can read the complete article at:

\"Talking to Strangers\" A renewed international effort is gearing up to design computers and software that smash language barriers and create a borderless global marketplace. A woman sits at a desk in Manhattan, talking to herself in French. The phrases she balances on each breath are musical to American ears. She has postcards of...\"

Read the complete article at:

Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:20
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! interesting read... Feb 16, 2002

I\'ve just invested in a natural voice recognition tool, and as I am still in its training days, it feels weird talking to myself and seeing words forming on the screen, with surprisingly good accuracy considering its early stage. Ironically, the hardest thing is really to \"force\" myself to speak at a natural pace, and not as if I were dictating to a \"human being\" (the sw gets confused if I speak too slowly!)

On the other hand, I also remember the 1st MT system I used, b
... See more
I\'ve just invested in a natural voice recognition tool, and as I am still in its training days, it feels weird talking to myself and seeing words forming on the screen, with surprisingly good accuracy considering its early stage. Ironically, the hardest thing is really to \"force\" myself to speak at a natural pace, and not as if I were dictating to a \"human being\" (the sw gets confused if I speak too slowly!)

On the other hand, I also remember the 1st MT system I used, back in the late 80\'s... (sorry, can\'t remember the name nor producer) When the company bought it we were sent on a 1 week intensive course. Then, putting it into practice, we had to spend so much time trying to train it to translate properly, flagging how words should behave grammatically, forcing it behave in a specific way, adding words and phrases... that after ploughing through with it for 2 whole projects, we finally disinstalled it and forgot about it...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-16 20:05 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting article about MT from Wired Magazine

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »