Thread poster: Eric Dondero
Eric Dondero
Eric Dondero
United States
Local time: 21:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2002

I still have some advance copies of my new book, \"Worldwide Multilingual Phrase Book: Survival Skills for Over 40 Languages.\" I am looking for some feedback before the first official print run. Also, comments for the book.

It\'s the first of its kind. Great reference for basic phrases.

Check it out and let me know what you think: www.portsidelanguages.com

... See more
I still have some advance copies of my new book, \"Worldwide Multilingual Phrase Book: Survival Skills for Over 40 Languages.\" I am looking for some feedback before the first official print run. Also, comments for the book.

It\'s the first of its kind. Great reference for basic phrases.

Check it out and let me know what you think: www.portsidelanguages.com

[addsig]
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 04:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
Is this a joke? Feb 21, 2002

I have been taught that in order to know a language, you have to study its pronunciation, grammar and syntax thoroughly. T&I-programs do just that. Then, by reading about the cultural and economic background of the language, you enrich your vocabulary.

English has how many words: 700.000? So, if I add all the words of all the languages you \"know (?)\" together, you must know about 10 million words.

Your concept is a false one: A language is not just
... See more
I have been taught that in order to know a language, you have to study its pronunciation, grammar and syntax thoroughly. T&I-programs do just that. Then, by reading about the cultural and economic background of the language, you enrich your vocabulary.

English has how many words: 700.000? So, if I add all the words of all the languages you \"know (?)\" together, you must know about 10 million words.

Your concept is a false one: A language is not just knowing a few words, but a living thing. I could compare it with a martial art. You know where you begin, but it takes years to become a master.

Collapse

David Rockell (X)
David Rockell (X)
Chinese to English
Nothing wrong with learning survival phrases in a lot of languages Feb 21, 2002

I don\'t know why this phrasebook and author would come under immediate attack. He made no claims to know millions of words though I believe it entirely possible he does indeed have a large vocabulary in many languages. I think the title of the books makes its purpose clear (basic survival phrases) and at its low price, I doubt the author\'s aim is to make a lot of many out of it. Give the guy a break (Give me a break would be a good phrase to know in 40 languages too, by the way, as intolerance... See more
I don\'t know why this phrasebook and author would come under immediate attack. He made no claims to know millions of words though I believe it entirely possible he does indeed have a large vocabulary in many languages. I think the title of the books makes its purpose clear (basic survival phrases) and at its low price, I doubt the author\'s aim is to make a lot of many out of it. Give the guy a break (Give me a break would be a good phrase to know in 40 languages too, by the way, as intolerance knows no regional or linguistic bounds, it would seem).Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 22:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Multilinguist pursuits, recognition or lack thereof. Mar 4, 2002

I am sometimes bemused or rather amused by the often dogmatic and didactic way some linguists feel that others are not entitled to or incapable of knowing more than two or maybe three languages perfectly. It really all depends on your interests, inclinations background and skills and the time you are able to set aside for linguistics pursuits. I mean, not many would snicker at someone who knows several computer languages, instead this usually elicits admiration and respect, and duly so. Why ar... See more
I am sometimes bemused or rather amused by the often dogmatic and didactic way some linguists feel that others are not entitled to or incapable of knowing more than two or maybe three languages perfectly. It really all depends on your interests, inclinations background and skills and the time you are able to set aside for linguistics pursuits. I mean, not many would snicker at someone who knows several computer languages, instead this usually elicits admiration and respect, and duly so. Why are multilinguists scorned by some?Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worldwide Multilingual Phrase Book

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »