Claudia Andreani
Claudia Andreani  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2002

Buenos días a todos!!!

Tengo dos dudas:

1) ¿Cuál de las dos palabras arriba es correcta?

2) ¿De qué se trata realmente? Ya que creo tener una idea, pero no estoy segura, y me gustaría incursionar más en este tema.

Gracias desde ya por tomarse el tiempo en responder. Me alegro muchísimo de pertenecer a esta comunidad tan interesante, donde el saber, la diversión y la gentilidad se unen en una mezcla asombrosa.

Espero
... See more
Buenos días a todos!!!

Tengo dos dudas:

1) ¿Cuál de las dos palabras arriba es correcta?

2) ¿De qué se trata realmente? Ya que creo tener una idea, pero no estoy segura, y me gustaría incursionar más en este tema.

Gracias desde ya por tomarse el tiempo en responder. Me alegro muchísimo de pertenecer a esta comunidad tan interesante, donde el saber, la diversión y la gentilidad se unen en una mezcla asombrosa.

Espero que tengan un hermoso resto de la semana, y saludos a los de Bahía Blanca y Punta Alta desde Jacksonville.

Claudia
Collapse

Martina Perini
Martina Perini
Italy
Local time: 23:06
English to Italian
+ ...
localization Jun 25, 2002

I posted my reply as a new topic...sorry. Here is what I wrote:

I don\'t speak spanish but I understood your questions, hope you don\'t mind me answering in English!

1)Based on my experience, both localization and localisation are correct, the first is simply the american spelling while the second is the english spelling.

2) What is it?

Put in simple terms, localization(sation)is the translation of software related material (Software refers t
... See more
I posted my reply as a new topic...sorry. Here is what I wrote:

I don\'t speak spanish but I understood your questions, hope you don\'t mind me answering in English!

1)Based on my experience, both localization and localisation are correct, the first is simply the american spelling while the second is the english spelling.

2) What is it?

Put in simple terms, localization(sation)is the translation of software related material (Software refers to the full interface as seen on-screen by the user. It includes menu items, dialogue box items, tool tips, status bar messages, toolbar items, error messages and strings (any message)

Often, Localization(sation) includes the adaptation of contents to national standards and conventions.

Punctuation marks (e.g. spaces, quotations etc)

Measurements

Data and number formats, decimal separator; currencies, etc.

It\'s basically the translation and adaptation of software to the target language market.

Check this web site: http://www.lisa.org/

It\'s the Localisation Industry Standard Association
Collapse

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Más información Jun 25, 2002

Hola Claudia:

Estoy de acuerdo con Martina. \"zation\" es la forma American mientras \"-sation\" es la forma Británica de decir la palabra.

Hay un libro sobre localización que se titula : \"A Practical Guide to Localization (Language International World Directory)\" escrito por Bert Esselink (ver www.amazon.com).

Espero que te sirva de ayuda.

... See more
Hola Claudia:

Estoy de acuerdo con Martina. \"zation\" es la forma American mientras \"-sation\" es la forma Británica de decir la palabra.

Hay un libro sobre localización que se titula : \"A Practical Guide to Localization (Language International World Directory)\" escrito por Bert Esselink (ver www.amazon.com).

Espero que te sirva de ayuda.

Ana

Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Localize, not localise Jun 25, 2002

It is a general misconception that -z- or -s- is just the difference between British and American spelling. A very good book for answers to questions such as these is \"The Oxford Dictionary for Writers & Editors\" (ISBN 0-19-866239-4) and that tells us: localize not -ise.

HTH

Joeri

Claudia Andreani
Claudia Andreani  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracianks! Jun 25, 2002

Muchas gracias por las respuestas, y por las opciones. Lisa.org es un buen sitio, con buena información.

Estaré atenta por más respuestas.

Thank you so very much for all the answers and options. Lisa.org is a good site, with good information.

I\'ll be waiting for more answers!

¡Gracianks! (Español e English combinados para decir ¡Gracias/Thanks!)

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
localisation and localization Jun 25, 2002

According to the Oxford dictionary the most appropriate way is to spell these words is with a \'z\' because they come from Latin. However, most British people would spell these words with an \'s\' and believe this is the correct British way. The EU recommends using the \'s\' variant in their style guide for English (see web site: http://europa.eu.int/comm/translation/en/stygd/)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localisation or Localization

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »