Is there a better way than Netmeeting for webcams?
Thread poster: Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2002

Good evening everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying a nice relaxing Sunday with your loved ones

We recently purchased a webcam (so please forgive me if I ask a silly question) - Is there a better way than using Netmeeting to connect with my webcam to my family overseas?

They also have a webcam (and they are newbies at this too!!!... figures!)

I remember an old frien
... See more
Good evening everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying a nice relaxing Sunday with your loved ones

We recently purchased a webcam (so please forgive me if I ask a silly question) - Is there a better way than using Netmeeting to connect with my webcam to my family overseas?

They also have a webcam (and they are newbies at this too!!!... figures!)

I remember an old friend of mine who used to go through a website to *show* his video feed, and if we had a camera, we would have also been able to connect, and he would have seen us too. If you did not have a camera, you could type a reply back in a window (like any instant messenger program).

BTW, I have tried using Yahoo\'s Instant Messenger Video feed, but the *sound* does not work very well - and you have to click on a button every time you want to speak, sort of like the old CB\'s. It\'s not the easiest way to communicate.

Any ideas, tips or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Merci à tous!

Thanks everyone!!

Muchas gracias a todos!!!

Nathalie

Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Spanish
Eyeball Nov 3, 2002

Hi Nathalie,

Try Eyeball (you can download it for free from www.eyeball.com). You can use it as video chat or ordinary chat if the other person doesn\'t have a webcam, you can record video messages, and it works great!

Cheers,

Andrea

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Andrea! Nov 3, 2002

This little program sounds amazing!

I am downloading it right now, and I will let you know how it goes

Thank you so much Andrea, you\'ve just made my day!

Nathalie

Andrea Bullrich
English to Spanish
Let me know how it works for Europe... Nov 4, 2002

I truly love the program (not only for faraway friends or clients: it also comes in handy when the kids miss their Dad and he\'s at the office!), but I haven\'t tried it with my friends in Europe. The sound works just fine when I use it with people here in Buenos Aires or in the US, but I\'m curious about Europe. One more tip I\'ve just remembered: set the image definition to low, and you\'ll look more natural on the screen (with a sharper image movements tend to be jerky).

... See more
I truly love the program (not only for faraway friends or clients: it also comes in handy when the kids miss their Dad and he\'s at the office!), but I haven\'t tried it with my friends in Europe. The sound works just fine when I use it with people here in Buenos Aires or in the US, but I\'m curious about Europe. One more tip I\'ve just remembered: set the image definition to low, and you\'ll look more natural on the screen (with a sharper image movements tend to be jerky).

Andrea
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will test it tomorrow Nov 4, 2002

Turns out that the family members I was trying to reach tonight are not home yet and it is getting late (translation: my bed is calling me big time!)

P.s. I am not in Europe though and I do not know anyone with a Webcam out there, but I am sure we could find some sweet volunteer Prozian to help us test it with them!

Any takers gang?

I will try with some friends I have in Canada and in the States. It seems to work fine as far as I can
... See more
Turns out that the family members I was trying to reach tonight are not home yet and it is getting late (translation: my bed is calling me big time!)

P.s. I am not in Europe though and I do not know anyone with a Webcam out there, but I am sure we could find some sweet volunteer Prozian to help us test it with them!

Any takers gang?

I will try with some friends I have in Canada and in the States. It seems to work fine as far as I can see, and it is much nicer than the other programs I have tried so far!

I\'ll keep you posted

We should try to test it together when you have a bit of time Andrea!

Have a great night!

Nathalie
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just did a test with a guy in Lyon! Nov 4, 2002

I thought I should try to find someone to test the webcam by going in one of the chat rooms.

I went into the French chat room and found a guy from Lyon. The pictures I received from him were good, but I could not hear his voice at all.

He said he could hear me but not that well, so we typed (i.e. clavarder) for a few minutes and that concluded my test.

Thought you\'d want to know!

Good night everyone ...
See more
I thought I should try to find someone to test the webcam by going in one of the chat rooms.

I went into the French chat room and found a guy from Lyon. The pictures I received from him were good, but I could not hear his voice at all.

He said he could hear me but not that well, so we typed (i.e. clavarder) for a few minutes and that concluded my test.

Thought you\'d want to know!

Good night everyone

Nathalie

Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
English to Spanish
Hmm... Nov 4, 2002

I remember I had this problem (not hearing the other person at all) with NetMeeting, but not with eyeball... I\'m sure you\'ll figure it out if you mess around with the settings a bit.

I do have a Prozie eyeball contact in Europe, but we\'ve never gotten around to trying it. I\'ll probably have to e-mail her to death, until she\'s either ready to try it or to set her e-mail to bounce me

And you and I could definitely give it a
... See more
I remember I had this problem (not hearing the other person at all) with NetMeeting, but not with eyeball... I\'m sure you\'ll figure it out if you mess around with the settings a bit.

I do have a Prozie eyeball contact in Europe, but we\'ve never gotten around to trying it. I\'ll probably have to e-mail her to death, until she\'s either ready to try it or to set her e-mail to bounce me

And you and I could definitely give it a try one of these days... I\'ll try not to look a fright (the way I look this late at night!)

Take care,

Andrea
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked with my brother in-law in Canada Nov 4, 2002

Good morning Andrea!

Just as I was about to log-off, my brother in-law wrote back to say that he had downloaded the program and that we could test it out when ever I wanted. So I replied right away and we chatted for an hour!

My husband even came out of bed out of curiosity (he could hear me talk hahaha).

It worked very well, I could hear and see them just fine (I am in the Caribbean at the moment btw)... and they could hear and see
... See more
Good morning Andrea!

Just as I was about to log-off, my brother in-law wrote back to say that he had downloaded the program and that we could test it out when ever I wanted. So I replied right away and we chatted for an hour!

My husband even came out of bed out of curiosity (he could hear me talk hahaha).

It worked very well, I could hear and see them just fine (I am in the Caribbean at the moment btw)... and they could hear and see us just fine too

I just wanted to confirm that it works very well and that my brother in-law said that he had tried many programs and this one was the best he had ever seen. He will tell everyone about it too!

Many thanks again Andrea!

(p.s. I look a little scary too late at night hahaha... although the guy from Lyon called me \"a beautiful French Canadian woman\" but then again... maybe he had other intentions than just testing a webcam!!! LOL)

Life is too short folks, we have to have a good laugh once in awhile

Have a great Monday!

Nathalie
Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
English to Spanish
Great! Nov 4, 2002

Morning, Nathalie

I\'m happy you could make it work. Life is indeed short, but let\'s look at the bright side: with this stuff, distances are also short!

Have a great day, and beware of chat room \"testers\"!

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a better way than Netmeeting for webcams?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »