Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:16
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Another thought Feb 10, 2014

Language itself is an organic thing. We use it, and we are affected by it - obscenity comes out and affect us as we the listener understand the connotation a swear word accompanies and associate to something negative. In my (unimportant) opinion, however, swear words holds the same weight within one's lexicon. I am not here to justify the use of swear words, but I think the more diverse our discussion topics, the more one can learn.

I for one now have a very clear understanding of
... See more
Language itself is an organic thing. We use it, and we are affected by it - obscenity comes out and affect us as we the listener understand the connotation a swear word accompanies and associate to something negative. In my (unimportant) opinion, however, swear words holds the same weight within one's lexicon. I am not here to justify the use of swear words, but I think the more diverse our discussion topics, the more one can learn.

I for one now have a very clear understanding of why some may be so offended and frankly appreciated the opportunity of learning about the "why" behind the meaning.

I agree 100% that swear words should not be tolerated, but in this case, it is quite clear that this particular word in question has evolved from a plain swear word to a term whose current connotation has had its original vulgar meaning more or less "removed" (at least to a certain degree). Therefore, while the term might appear obscene to some, it is not to others - and on that principle, I believe this is why our moderators have let this word live on.

For me, and perhaps I myself alone, it is important to understand why certain terms have evolved, why people are offended by it in the first place, and what weight and meaning the word holds in today's age.

Every thread in this forum has provided immense learning for me, and I am not here to say this because I am a pacifist, but truly because as someone who lives outside of Asia, the forum here provides excellent knowledge about the industry, and about many small nuances - both bad and good ones - in the Chinese language.
Collapse

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
有机会的话 Feb 10, 2014

clairejie wrote:

Rita Pang wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

去度假就度假,何必又这么劳苦呢?人生苦短,该工作时应工作,该休息就休息。可能是人到中年了,我看问题的角度也都变了。

十月中旬我去了欧洲两个月,探望亲人和朋友,但后来决定不带笔记本,只借用(占用)姐姐的,还好是这样。活永远干不完。但毕竟我还是很喜欢金子的,中间也接了一件大型案子,直接发给一个同行做了。

建议Ying开始建立自己一个小网络,如果想去旅行又接到案子,可发给同行干。至于如何报价等等,Proz这里很多人都有经验,可以大家一齐分享想法。

当然这个人的翻译能力一定要好,能信任的,要不然放一次假砸一次招牌。

如果短期内再去法国,一定一定 :)

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:16
Chinese to English
+ ...
The Moderators Can Do Whatever They See Fit Feb 10, 2014

Goodbye

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
One last thing Feb 10, 2014

How do you refrain others???

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/refrain

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Thank you Feb 10, 2014

wherestip wrote:

...for pointing out my mistake. I apologize for the misuse of this word.

Whenever I post, I feel like I'll be damned if I make a grammar or vocabulary-related mistake. It is precisely this type of snappy come back's which refrains me from being more active (I am verbose and I love forums! Not that my opinions are always valuable, obviously!

I do however appreciate your pointing out of the forum rules. It is true that if certain words are deemed offensive to other forum members, it should be banned.

In this case it is just and right that every one should stop referring to the vulgar word in question, even in response.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, Steve!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sorry Feb 10, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

...for pointing out my mistake. I apologize for the misuse of this word.

Whenever I post, I feel like I'll be damned if I make a grammar or vocabulary-related mistake. It is precisely this type of snappy come back's which refrains me from being more active (I am verbose and I love forums! Not that my opinions are always valuable, obviously!

I do however appreciate your pointing out of the forum rules. It is true that if certain words are deemed offensive to other forum members, it should be banned.

In this case it is just and right that every one should stop referring to the vulgar word in question, even in response.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, Steve!

Rita,

Never mind me. I apologize to you.

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No no, it is I to you :) Feb 10, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Rita,

Never mind me. I apologize to you.

I didn't write with the intention to turn this into a fruit fight You know your feedback is always valued, Steve! Don't disappear from the forum just yet, lol

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
self-deprecating word Feb 10, 2014

From what I know, it came from people who wish to call themselves self-deprecatingly, and they hit on this word or phrase.

The problem is that it is not only self-deprecating, it’s obscenely self-deprecating.
While self-deprecating may not be a bad thing at all, there is nothing good in referring to oneself obscenely. If it is the fashion among some online communities to call themselves thusly, I have nothing to say except that “it’s beyond idiotic”.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
防微杜渐 Feb 10, 2014

clairejie wrote:

我在这个论坛上也有几年的时间了,虽然大多数时间都在潜水。我感觉大家的发言都是十分积极和正面的,贴子的内容从来未曾流于低俗。

这个论坛能有今天这个良好局面,正是长期以来众多有识之士和管理人员抵制犯规行为、努力维护论坛正常秩序的结果。内容低俗的贴子并不是从来就没有过,而是你没看到。曾有人在此提倡自慰、提倡娼妓合法化等。如果你看到这样的主张,不知你有何感想?又会如何对待?

[Edited at 2014-02-11 03:23 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
网络语言 Feb 10, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

时下的网络语言,流行的就是,有话不好好说,有字不好好写,故意用谐音,让你猜。严肃的翻译工作者看了会气死。

我想你所指的会让严肃的翻译工作者气死的网络语言,与 Kenneth 举出的那些例子十分类似 。我非常同意 Kenneth 的意见。假如这个论坛堕落到如此“生动活泼”的地步,那确实将是一件令人感到悲哀的事情。

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/262564-行万里路,译万字书_freelancers_lifestyle-page4.html#2251253

Kenneth Woo wrote:

我這裡想說明的一點是說話要看對象、場合。想像一下奧巴馬在會議上問習近平:“習童鞋,你腫麼看?“這不是說我們的論壇必須嚴肅非常,輕鬆快樂的討論甚至耍耍幽默並不非得勞駕”童鞋"、“腫麼了”、“神馬”、“吃飯ing"、”LP"、"out了“、"hold住”這類詞不可。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
专业讨论,大家得益 Feb 10, 2014

Ying Wang wrote:

David Lin wrote:

附上自拍圖片,除了和語言翻譯問題有關,也博大家一笑。

並順祝各位同仁、新知舊雨,馬年好運、萬事順境、馬到功成、身體健康!

也祝您及家人诸事如意,平安喜乐!上次在KudoZ有幸与先生讨论问题,先生的严谨风格令晚辈敬佩。

谢谢你,也祝愿你在马年自由翻译事业更上一层楼,事业家庭兼顾如鱼得水。

我当然还记得你及所讨论的问题,当时让我缅怀了一下已经放下了一段日子的美国文化及历史,及在波士顿待过的一段美好时光。其实严谨与否我自己也不知道,只是也曾听过很多同业向我反馈这种感觉。我想 Kudoz 问者们期望得到的是正确答案,所以还是严肃、谨慎一点较好。大家-无论是提问的同仁,回答或旁观阅读者,都可从中受益。 :)

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
交流得挺投契的 Feb 10, 2014

QHE wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote: 像林先生和 QHE 这样的同仁多多益善

Ying Wang wrote:

David Lin wrote:

附上自拍圖片,除了和語言翻譯問題有關,也博大家一笑。

並順祝各位同仁、新知舊雨,馬年好運、萬事順境、馬到功成、身體健康!

也祝您及家人诸事如意,平安喜乐!上次在KudoZ有幸与先生讨论问题,先生的严谨风格令晚辈敬佩。

他们严谨的译风令人敬佩,感觉受益匪浅!

J. H. ,
马年如意吉祥!(你在老家应该多呆几天才好,天空一定很蓝)

谢谢你的赞许之言,你的钻研精神我还赶不上呢,大家互相学习。我也总是受益于Lin 先生的广博知识,而且充满情趣

[Edited at 2014-02-06 20:23 GMT]

谢谢 J.H. 和 Q 的称许。你们的帖子中不乏字字珠玑,看出学有专精;大家在论坛切磋,正好互补不足。与 Q 好像也交流得挺投契的。 :)

David

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
一 点 建 议 Feb 10, 2014

ysun wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

时下的网络语言,流行的就是,有话不好好说,有字不好好写,故意用谐音,让你猜。严肃的翻译工作者看了会气死。

我想你所指的会让严肃的翻译工作者气死的网络语言,与 Kenneth 举出的那些例子十分类似 。我非常同意 Kenneth 的意见。假如这个论坛堕落到如此“生动活泼”的地步,那确实将是一件令人感到悲哀的事情。

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/262564-行万里路,译万字书_freelancers_lifestyle-page4.html#2251253

Kenneth Woo wrote:

我這裡想說明的一點是說話要看對象、場合。想像一下奧巴馬在會議上問習近平:“習童鞋,你腫麼看?“這不是說我們的論壇必須嚴肅非常,輕鬆快樂的討論甚至耍耍幽默並不非得勞駕”童鞋"、“腫麼了”、“神馬”、“吃飯ing"、”LP"、"out了“、"hold住”這類詞不可。

观察了这个讨论话题已有一段日子。有两三次我以为经过热烈讨论,大家已经得出结论 -- 即都认为,虽然现在国内很多人在正用那个含自扁义的字词,可是用字却实在非常不雅(由形容性行为的脏话和男性生殖器官组合而成),引起部份论坛使用者觉得 offensive,以后还是少用为妙。

其实,论坛守则第一条已经被引用过,如下:

“Postings which are political, religious, or otherwise controversial in nature, or that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed.”

其中一句可能適用 "...Or that may be considered offensive by other users... without regard to the views expressed."

offensive = causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed.

也观察到部份同仁 other users 已经明确表达,由於这个字词的不雅性质被冒犯 - offensive。

如果根据这个原则,论坛主持人是否应该在适当时候出面,劝谕同仁们自律,由于违反论坛第一条条款,请以后不要再使用该名词。

当然,我会赞同在讨论中使用该名词,但是条件必须是,讨论目的只可以集中在当代中国语言文化的变化,作为例外性处理。原因再清楚不过 - 即作为专业翻译员,我们也必需有空间讨论一些与语言有关的最新问题,就算其中含有不雅成份。但是同时我们必需顾虑其他讨论者的感受

所以,建议处理方法之一:考虑將 xx 另设为一个独立主题,在大家同意的规定时限内完成讨论 (例如两个星期),并由客观、中立、中肯的主持人 Moderator 来带领整个讨论过程,并考虑在讨论过程中,将令人不安 upset、气愤 resentful或生气 annoyed的字词,用 xx 代替。

也可考虑,不想参与讨论的同仁,或连看到 xx 也难以忍受者,有不参与其中的选择权,即在这个专题讨论中 opt out。他们在论坛的其他主题则继续参与讨论。

当讨论结束后,如果有其他同仁想再讨论,也应由主持人出面解释说,讨论已经结束,请参阅以往纪录。避免令部份同仁反感及冒犯的字词,一而再、再而三在论坛出现,继续引起部份同仁不安和反感。

希望这是一个两全其美,大家都可以接受的理性、互相尊重和专业的讨论方式。

David

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
有规则就按规则办 Feb 11, 2014

不必另外发明一套。我个人觉得,既然forum rule里面已经提到,有人感到offensive,就可以删贴,照做就是。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
冒犯就是冒犯 Feb 11, 2014

所謂冒犯者不一定是要指名道姓,亦不特意是針對某一個人或群組,只不過是直接參予討論,或旁觀者,或這Proz community內的成員感到不安,使用此等不雅言詞便構成冒犯。但這種冒犯性言詞作為討論的話題,仍然是可以接受的,只要不是故意過份渲染,自得其樂就是。以“x 絲”一詞為例,看來是在討論中,向參予者講及的網絡“潮語”,以個人來說亦無不可,但使用時應注意別人的感受,適可而止,只要揸fit人及時作溫馨提示,或在失控前叫停便是。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

行万里路,译万字书--freelancer's lifestyle

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »